Церковь Святого Иоанна Крестителя в Губаницах

Evangelical Lutheran Church of Gubanitsy

Church of St. John the Baptist

Identified Russian Cultural Heritage Site

Architectural style:

Eduard Hahn


The Gubanitsy (Kupanitsa) parish is first mentioned in records in 1647 during Swedish reign. 
Olaus Michaelis Elgfooth was the first senior pastor of the parish.

Before the stone building was constructed, there had been two wooden buildings. The first one was built in 1704, and in 1743-1748, new building was constructed in its place. In the first half of 18th century, the parish also had its chapel in Sosnitsy, 35 versts (3,5 miles) to the south of Gubanitsy. At the beginning of XX century, the chapel parish ceased to exist, as the Sosnitsy population was Russian-speaking by that time.

The stone building of 1000 seats was built in 1861 by architect Eduard Lvovich Hahn. At the end of XIX century, a large number of Estonian settlers joined the parish, and by 1894, there were 2000 of them. In 1902 Estonians founded their own church in the village of Teshkovo. Nevertheless, in the beginning of XX century, worship in Gubanitsy parish was still held in two tongues – Finnish and Estonian. 
In 1917, the number of parishioners was 6342 people.

In August 1937, church services ceased, pastor Leo Shulz was shot. The church was officially closed in 1938. Worship continued during German occupation in 1942-1943. Eventually, the church housed a stable, a prison, a sawmill and a barn.

In 1988, the Gubanitsy parish was revived, and later this year, the half-ruined church building was passed to the parish. Already in September, the church held its first service. In 1989, new preachers for the resurgent Church of Ingria were blessed in Gubanitsy. The church was renovated and re-consecrated in 1991.

Present days:

Currently the parish is a part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria and belongs to West Ingrian provost.

The parish holds regular worship, Bible studies, excursions, conducts diaconal work.