The parish was founded in Gatchina in 1794. The parish’s first building was made of wood. A second building was constructed in 1825-1828 under the project of architect Domenico (Dementy) Quadri and under the supervision of Gatchina’s chief architect Alexey Ivanovich Baikov. Consecration of the church took place on 22 October 1828. The building was designed for 220 seats.
The first Senior Pastor was Conrad Friedrich Franzen (1790-1795 yy.). Among the parish’s notable members was bishop Oskar Palsa (1863-1926).
In December 1938, the church was closed. During the war its building was seriously damaged and in the year 1950 was transferred to a construction organization. From 1960 to 1993, the church housed a children’s sports school.
St. Nicholas parish was registered with the government and in August 1990 the Lutheran parish returned to the Gatchina community. And on April 3, 1994 the church building was transferred back to the parish.